Upcycling and Repurposing
Creating a second life for our things is a great way to conserve waste, save money, and get creative. There are thousands of ways that we can re-purpose various items in fun and creative ways, and though there are far too many for us to list here, there are plenty of great resources on-line that can guide you.
In the meantime, here are few ideas we love:
Re-purpose and old ladder into a:
- Bathroom towel rack. Add a bamboo box to the top or bottom rung for storage space.
- Hang the ladder on brackets
off the floor and against a wall or standing up upright and leaning against a wall.
- Flowerpot holder. Great for either inside or out, ladders are a fun way to display potted plants and flowers.
- Light show. Wrap an old ladder with twinkle lights for a cool lighting display inside or out.
- Lean a small ladder next to your bed for a unique bedside ‘table’. Add a small piece of wood to make a shelf, add a clip-on reading light, and maybe even a dream catcher.
There are so many fun and easy ways to reuse wine bottles:
- Water it down. Add a cool stopper or cork and use as a water bottle for the dinner table or while entertaining.
- Hang it. Turn a wine bottle into a lamp with a lighting kit.
- Write it. Create a cool vase by painting a bottle with Chalk Board Paint. Then mark it with a poem, the names of the flowers, or just a love note.
- Light it up. Add battery or solar twinkle lights to the inside of a clean wine bottle for a pretty lighting effect
You can usually find wood pallets for free or dirt cheap and there are so many things to do with them:
- Fence it in. Brace strong wooden pallets together to create a privacy space for your backyard.
- Table it. Turning a pallet into an outdoor coffee table is as easy as adding legs! Fast, simple, and easy.
- Sit on it. It’s also almost as easy to create matching couches. Stack two and secure together, then add a third pallet to the back for a backrest, then repeat for the size couch you are looking for. All that’s left is to sand it and paint it!
- Plant it. Vertical gardens are easy to create inside a wooden pallet with the help of chicken wire, soil, and seedlings.
There are thousands of ideas out there so get creative and have some fun by re-purposing items throughout your home.
For your vinyl, plastic, stone, or metal surfaces, restore the original color by using Rust-Oleum Recolor by Wipe New!